Pieces of Meeks

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Daughters Tribute...

My dad never likes a "big to-do" made over him or his birthday, but this is my blog and I can say whatever I want and he cant stop me! So here it goes.

As a a grown woman there are alot of things that I remember from my childhood, and I have heard from my mother every birthday about the day I was born, but one thing that I always remember my dad telling me was that he was the first one to ever see me as I was coming into the world. I always loved to hear that. If one of the Etheredge children is most like my father, most would tell you it was me. Our tempers, our personalities, the way I walk, my rear end; there is alot about me that is alot like my dad. As a little girl I dont remember playing mommy very much, but I do remember playing "business." It didnt matter what business but I was the BOSS! (my poor brother and cousin) But today is my hero's birthday, my hero is a 59 year old man who is no giant and drives a pick up truck. He doesnt look like Brad Pitt and he can be really ornary, but he is my dad and he is my hero. He is the strongest person I know and has never let life circumstances keep him from getting what he wanted. He loves the Lord and has no shame it letting people know that. He is an incredible businessman and a fair boss. He runs his business with integrity and wisdom. He loves my mom more than anyone and I have never had any doubt of that. He is the most generous person and would give you the shirt off his back and the last penny in his pocket. He loves to ride like the wind and play like a kid. He is fun and funny. He always has stood behind and up for his kids, but was never to afraid to spank us if we needed it...and boy did I need it. We know beyond a shadow of a doubt he doesnt like tatoos or tounge rings and he doesnt think it is funny to joke about it either. He is great at giving advice, he loves gadgets, and he is the one who bred Souther Gospel Music in me. Without him our family would be lost. I have always said that if my dad were to die I wouldnt want his money, just his pillow case and voice recorder. My dads voice can still scare me and calm me depending on its tone, but his smell makes me feel comforted. He lives three hours away but would move heaven and earth to get here if I needed him. He cant stand to see his kids in a hospital even if they are having babies. He doesnt know what to do when a baby spits up but will hold his grandkids even with that risk. His kids have learned to manage his practical jokes and are used to waking up to bugs in their face on Saturday mornings. So my hero might be a 59 year old man, but he is better than Superman or Brad Pitt because he is my dad and I love every memory that I have with him and every memory that I will get to have with him. Thanks dad for all the laughter, fun, discipline, compliments, dates and moments that a lot of kids dont have. Thank you for loving all of us and for sticking with us. Happy Birthday!

1 Comments:

At 3:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Katie,

Your dad is truly a special person. He made such an impact on me as a kid......he probably doesn't even know it. Even though I haven't seen him in around 13 years, I still think of him often. I pitched a lot of pitches to your dad as he would help me with my pitching skills as a kid. The practical jokes that we would play on each other were so much fun. You are blessed to have the father that you do.......and so am I.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home